Friday, March 12, 2010

FIBER!!

I took a life-changing nutrition class in college and learned about the multiple benefits of fiber. Ok, maybe non life changing, but life-style changing. I learned about all the crazy scary things that can happen later in life if you neglect this very important part of your diet. Do you know we should be eating around 25-35 grams of fiber per day??!! Even this self-proclaimed fiber enthusiast finds this a challenge.



I am always looking for new and delicious ways to add more fiber to my diet. My sister recently told me about flax seed meal. Flax seed, in all forms, is an excellent source of omega oils and fiber, both soluable and insoluable. There’s some evidence it can help reduce your risk of heart disease, cancer, stroke, and diabetes. It contains omega-3 essential fatty acids, the "good" fats that have been shown to have heart-healthy effects. It also has lignans, which have both plant estrogen and antioxidant qualities.

You can buy it in oil capsules, by the bottle as an oil for salad dressings or cooking, as a seed, or in this finely ground form. I find the flax seed meal to be a really easy addition to many recipes. You can add it to any baking recipe... and I also find its really easy to add into most breakfast menus. My sister adds it to a tablespoon of peanut butter on her toast.

Recently, I have been adding my flax meal to my oatmeal or cream of wheat in the morning. Its very finely ground and does not change the taste or texture. I cooked my Cream of Wheat according to directions on the box, then mixed in a couple of tablespoons of the flax seed meal. Top it with a bit of fruit and milk, and you have a fantastic high-fiber start to your day! Even my fiance, a cream of wheat puritan, has become a convert!



Love,
Sam

1 comment:

  1. i love fiber!! you have to check out my blog, i just did a post on a fiber recipe for you. way better than that old people cream of wheat!! love you.

    ReplyDelete