Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bob's Salsa

My husband loves tacos. And he was lucky to grow up eating them about once a week at home. His father makes the most delicious salsa, and I recently learned how simple it is to make. When I lived with girlfriends, we used to do a taco salad night at least once a week. We would cook lean ground turkey meat with taco seasoning, chop up some lettuce, add some black beans or lard free refried beans, and top with taco sauce or store bought salsa. I wish I would have had this recipe then!

The canned tomatoes in this recipe are sweet and the rest of the ingredients are fresh. You can easily double to triple if you are doing a taco night for a large group.

  • 1 large can organic whole peeled tomatoes (I prefer Cento or San Marzano)
  • 1/2 cup cilantro
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 4-5 cloves of fresh garlic, finely diced
  • 1 can diced green chilies (he uses the Ortega brand)
  • 1/8 cup red wine vinegar
  • salt and pepper to taste
Chop and combine all ingredients in a large bowl. I am sure it can be done with a food processor... but I have only ever seen Bob chop by hand so I suggest you do the same. It is that simple. Oh, and make sure to include the juice from the tomatoes.

Your taco night just got healthier.

Love,
Sam

1 comment:

  1. I wish we had this recipe then too! But now I will just make it on my own & think of you guys!

    ReplyDelete