- 2 lbs regular white button mushrooms
- 2 cups Burgundy (Or just use pinot noir for a less expensive option)
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp dill seed (I could only find Dill weed at my grocery store which worked fine)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp beef bouillon paste (or use 2 cubes if you cannot find the paste)
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon paste (or again, use 2 cubes if you cannot find)
Combine all ingredients except mushrooms in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Add mushrooms.
Reduce to simmer. Cook 5-6 hours with pot covered.
Remove lid and cook another 3-4 hours.
This is really the most simple recipe, but it does have a very long cooking time. Plan ahead. I find it best to make the night before. I let it simmer all night (even though it says 5-6 hours, I cooked it longer and thought it turned out better) then continue cooking with the lid off the day of your party.
Serve as an appetiser with toothpicks. The mushrooms will be very dark.